The Electric VTOL News™ highlights the incredible promise and progress of all-electric and hybrid-electric powered vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft, primarily focused on non-helicopter VTOL aircraft large enough to carry passengers without conventional helicopter flight controls (though eHelos and eGyros are also included). Electric propulsion throws open the VTOL aircraft design space by harnessing concepts such as distributed electric propulsion (DEP) as well as facilitating new approaches to wingborne VTOL.
Check out the latest news roundup in our Electric VTOL News newsletters, read our in-depth Vertiflite articles and other news stories, learn about the different aircraft being developed and the new enabling technologies such as motors and batteries, find out about applications like the now-bygone Uber Elevate ecosystem, advanced air mobility (AAM), the US Air Force's Agility Prime initiative and the NASA AAM National Campaign, or check out our social media and other resources available for those tracking or learning about eVTOL.
One of our most widely-used resources is the World eVTOL Aircraft Directory with 750+ eVTOL aircraft listed to date — and new aircraft added as soon as they are unveiled!
We also have 200+ hours of video presentations on eVTOL aircraft and technology in our video library, including several Electric VTOL Short Courses, taught by leading eVTOL technology experts. And check out our upcoming events and resources from past events.
Sign up for The Electric VTOL™ eNewsletter to get regular updates on progress in Electric VTOL, resources and important upcoming events. You can also check out our past issues. It's the longest-serving and most comprehensive free newsletter on electric vertical flight and adjacent technologies.
Upcoming Vertical Flight Society Events:
- 2nd H2-Aero Symposium takes place March 29-31, in Long Beach, California and virtually online — register today!
- 79th Annual Forum & Technology Display is taking place May 16–18, 2023, in West Palm Beach, Florida! This is the world's largest and longest-running VTOL technical conference, with dozens of papers and presentations focused on electric VTOL — save the date!
- 17th Electric Aircraft Symposium, held in conjunction with AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 22-23, 2023, is the world's longest-running meeting on electric aviation — save the date!
- 11th Annual eVTOL Symposium will take place Feb. 6–8, 2024, in Silicon Valley — save the date!
Recent Vertical Flight Society Events:
- 10th Annual eVTOL Symposium took place Jan. 24–26, 2023, in Mesa, Arizona — check the page for video recordings and presentations
- 6th Workshop on AAM Infrastructure was held Sept. 20-22, 2022, in Dayton, Ohio — check the page for video recordings
- 16th Electric Aircraft Symposium, held in conjunction with AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 23-24, 2022, is the world's longest-running meeting on electric aviation — check the page for video recordings
- The VFS 78th Annual Forum & Technology Display was held May 10–12, 2022. Nearly 220 technical papers and more than 60 invited talks were presented. Find out about how to access the technical papers, proceedings, videos, etc.
- The 1st H2-Aero Symposium & Workshop took place March 29-31, in Long Beach, California and virtually online. Check out the free video recordings for attendees and all VFS members, as well as downloadable briefing charts.
- he VFS Transformative Vertical Flight 2022 was held Jan. 24-27, 2022 in San Jose, California, and included the Aeromechanics for Advanced Vertical Flight Technical Meeting and the 9th Annual Electric VTOL Symposium. Proceedings, videos, and presentations are available on through its website.
- VFS supported EUROPEAN ROTORS – The VTOL Show and Safety Conference, organized by the European Helicopter Association (EHA) in cooperation with the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), Nov 16-18, 2021, in Cologne, Germany, including several AAM presentations.
- The 5th semi-annual Workshop on eVTOL Infrastructure for UAM was held online on Sept. 20-21, 2021. Video recordings now available!
- The 15th Electric Aircraft Symposium, held July 20-22, 2021, organized by the CAFE Foundation and the Vertical Flight Society, is the world's longest-running event that covers eVTOL, eCTOL and eSTOL aircraft. You can still watch the first day free or purchase access to videos of all 60 speakers at www.vtol.org/videos
- VFS taught two short courses that are now available for purchase as video on demand for $325 each:
- VTOL Aircraft Cost Estimating Short Course, June 2021
- Electric VTOL Technology Short Course, June 2021
- 77th Annual Forum & Technology Display was May 10-14, 2021. You can still gain access to videos of nearly 300 presentations and all of the technical papers in the Forum 77 proceedings. Check it out!
- 4th Workshop on eVTOL Infrastructure for UAM was held virtually on March 2-4, 2021.
- An 8-hour Short Course on Electric VTOL Design (Intermediate level), by Dr. James Wang, Vtolwerke, LLC was held Feb. 9-10, 2021
- 9th Biennial Autonomous VTOL Technical Meeting with the 8th Annual Electric VTOL Symposium in Mesa, Arizona, USA, Jan. 26-28, 2021 — purchase the videos on demand today!
- 76th Annual Forum & Technology Display was held virtually on Oct. 5-8, 2020. You can still gain access to videos of 250 presentations and all of the technical papers in the Forum 76 proceedings. Check it out!
The Electric VTOL News™ is published by the Vertical Flight Society, the world’s longest-serving and largest VTOL technical organization. This website was started in April 2017, and is the first and foremost resource for eVTOL news and information in the world.
Have an addition, suggestion or question? Let us know!
- Mike Hirschberg, Publisher
- Ken Swartz, Editor-in-Chief
- Dan Gettinger, Managing Editor
- Frank Colucci, Senior Editor
- Mike Hampson, Directory Editor
- Ian Frain, Contributing Editor
- Robert Moorman, Contributing Editor
- Richard Whittle, Contributing Editor
- Nicolas Zart, Contributing Editor
- Jessica Starr, Assistant Editor
- Voltline Skyla_V2 (production aircraft)
- Voltline Skyla_V1 (prototype)
- Voltline Skyla (prototype)
- V_Space V Speeder V3
- V_Space V Speeder V2
- Sikorsky Aircraft Hybrid-Electric Demonstrator (HEX)
- ARC Aero Systems C-150 (production model)
- Joby Aviation S4 1.0 (technology demonstrator)
- Alauda Airspeeder Mk4 (hydrogen-electric)
- Coflow Jet CFJ-VTOL TW (concept design)